Farm To Fork & Sustainability
Save You Time
We do the heavy lifting to plan, develop and deliver learning experiences.
Connecting You With A Team Of Experts
Sustainability Learning Through Food
- Understand the system of production, processing, distribution and consumption of food
- Deepen knowledge about the social, environmental and economic factors that affect availability of and access to food
- Understand the challenges surrounding food sovereignty in Hong Kong
- School-specific activities to put learning into practice and create positive change
- Improve sustainable behaviours at school and set meaningful targets
Hands-on Activities & Site Visits
- Including Hong Kong’s farms, environmental centres, national parks and marine education centres
Tried And Tested Teaching Resources
Garden To Fork
- Create and integrate garden space into the curriculum through a learning programme
- Grow food, plants and deepen biodiversity knowledge
- Train, coach and upskill teachers to increase their confidence in abilities
- Establish sustainable food lifecycle at school (e.g. Composting)
- Interdisciplinary activities that promote cross-curricular learning
- Hands-on learning to develop confidence, collaboration, communication & critical thinking
- Basic cooking skills, nutrition & well-being
Access To External Experts
- Create learning around real-world problems at local, regional and global scales.
- Empower students to be informed decision-makers, equipped to solve meaningful challenges in their communities and beyond.
Previous Work With Schools
Yew Chung International Primary School
- Student learning & action to support Sustainable Development Goals; Student-led food waste & plastic investigations; Inquiry units for farm-to fork & sustainability
- “A wealth of knowledge; Experts to speak with the children; Empowering for students to make positive changes at school.”
Hong Kong International School – Upper Primary
- Led teaching team to design & test interdisciplinary food education unit to support curriculum standards across all grades
- “So appreciative of all the work! Empowering for teachers who feel more confident & skilled.”
- In-class support for food lifecycle & biodiversity learning; Student explorer mindset & behaviours from National Geographic; Reggio Emilia inspired provocations
- “Enjoy working with Munchkins immensely – creative, reliable & supportive; Great feedback from teachers; Students enjoyed testing out their problem solving skills.”
Malvern College Pre-school
- Strengthened parent community, shared family feeding knowledge and ideas, increased parent confidence and engagement
- “Our parents & teachers found the sessions, tips and exercises invaluable.”
Fairchild Junior Academy
- Increased student interactions with indoor garden, plant life cycle learning & teacher-support for exploratory projects
- “We love seeing how inspired and green-figured our students are becoming.”
What Our Teachers Are Saying
I enjoy working with Munchkins immensely. They are creative, reliable, very organised and always supportive. We’ve also had great feedback from the parent and teacher community building workshops, as well as from seminars around cooking, growing food and family feeding. We look forward to more collaborative projects with Munchkins!
—Ms Yau, Principal of Fairchild Kindergarten
The Food Unit went really well and it was very helpful to have a supply of resources and support from Munchkins. Melissa was there to support us every step of the way and had a wealth of knowledge to share with us and arranged for ‘experts’ to come and speak with the children. The students were so excited to meet a real life farmer! They loved seeing his farm, how he manages his tasks and having a chance to touch the caterpillars. We also really enjoyed seeing behind the scenes of the food charity as we usually see a “face” of a charity without always understanding how it actually works. We’re looking forward to getting the school garden going next, with the helpful support and training from Munchkins.
—Ms Williams, Yew Chung International School HK
With Munchkins help we have a really strong team to establish a Kids Kitchen programme that integrates into our curriculum across all grades. The project is proving to be really engaging and empowering for the teachers who are feeling more confident and skilled to introduce more food related activities in the classroom.
—Ms. Robinson, HKIS
Thanks to Munchkins we have a clearly defined Green Council teacher/student team to support the Sustainable Development Goals. The children already made some great discoveries – gathering strong data to understand how we can effectively manage our food waste at school. We’re presenting our findings to the leadership team next to get support on the targets set by the children and the action they think we should take. The activity had been really empowering for them and given us hard evidence to make positive changes at school.
—Ms. Horton, Yew Chung International School HK
Munchkins brought shape and structure to our Sustainability Unit within a matter of weeks. The ideas, and interactive learning activities have made home learning a lot easier and productive. We’re looking forward to introducing external experts to the class next. This will really get the kids’ creativity going as they think about how we can make our school and homes more sustainable.
—Mr. Jack, Head of Year at Yew Chung International School HK
The students really enjoyed the food waste activities and testing out their problem solving skills by investigating how we managed our waste at school. Munchkins introduced some great National Geographic resources for the class which helped the kids reflect on our food waste in HK. The kids continued to explore food waste following the sessions – creating a “recycling plant” in the classroom and planting seeds from thrown away veggies.
—Ms. Tang, Fairchild Kindergarten
Tell us how we can help you and arrange an introductory chat with our team.